Thursday, June 11, 2009

confession time:



My last two posting have dealt with New York Theatre Workshop's current production of THINGS OF DRY HOURS. While I've never done promoting of a show, mainly reviews and current obsessions, I'm happy to say for this summer, I am an intern for NYTW.

That being said, I've had the chance to see the production twice, and I have to be honest and say that I really do enjoy it. And I'll be the first person to tell you that I can't (usually) sit down and just watch a straight play (straight play meaning, no music, etc). It's hard for me -- but taking Modern Drama classes and trying to expose myself to more of this type of theatre has been a great experience. So with TODH, it's a unique experience because it really is the best of both world. The dialogue in this show presents itself in a lyrical/poetic fashion that has a great force, especially when spoken by such actors as Roslyn Ruff and Delroy Lindo.

In the other post about the show, I copied a description of the show, so I won't go there again but what I do have to say is that this show opens up a new part of American history I had never known about and it makes me curious about more not well known events.

So am I biased in saying you (whoever you may be) should see THINGS OF DRY HOURS just because of my association with NYTW? Sure, but as a theatre go-er and lover, this should be seen to be appreciated.

No comments: