Sunday, June 28, 2009

Epicness on 46th Street


Everyone's favorite dance Jon Rua graced the Richard Rogers stage this past week twice as the lead Usnavi in IN THE HEIGHTS. I was devastated when I found out he went on Tuesday and did not know about it until Wednesday. Luckily, and I really have no idea how this happened but I was able to do the lotto on Thursday with my friend Meredith and we won! And to my utmost delight, Jon was on again as Usnavi.

It was such a fresh performance of this character in the show. I really have no other way to explain it but the youthfulness of his Usnavi and the small mannerisms between him and Robin de Jesus who plays Sonny, was so great and funny. And all Heights fans know he can dance, so to see him dance in the, how should I put this, Usnavi way, was hilarious. My favorite part of the show was during the "Finale" when he started the line, "Yeah, I'm a street light...". He attacked it like I had never heard anyone do before.

Marcus was on as Benny, and I am delighted to say that I've seen his Collins in RENT multiple times, so I'm a huge fan of his and can say his "Benny's Dispatch" was so fun, so fun. The talent of the ensemble is always so steller and I think that's why I enjoy this show so much. Every time I see it, I see something different that I hadn't caught before. It's definitely a show thats climbing higher and higher on my favorite list. And I'll keep attending.

2 comments:

heidi said...

How many times have you seen it now?

Natalie said...

"heights"? 6 times.